I love Korea! I have been looking for easy recipe for korean sweets. Hoddeok is one of them. You might eat it with nutella, chesse filings or you can make it in traditional way.
This recipe is for 8 hoddeoks.
What you need:
1 cup warm milk or water
2 teaspoons of dry yeast
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of oil
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 cups of flour
Half cup of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of ground walnuts
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Mix together: milk (or water), yeast, sugar, salt and oil
2. Add the flour. Combine the ingredients with spoon.
3. Cover bowl with foil and leave for about an hour to rise.
4. After one hour knead the dough to remove air bubbles. Again, cover the bowl with foil and leave it for another 10-20 minutes
5. Mix all the syrup ingredients.
6. On pastry board sprinkle flour (about a half cup of flour). Lightly knead the dough. Divide the dough into 8 parts.
7. From every part create a ball. Flattened it and put syrup in the middle. Yeast dough dries quickly, so it is a good idea to cover those parts of the dough with foil, which are waiting for their turn.
8. Stick dough edges like the dumpling or doughnut.
9. Warm up the oil in the pan. Put the ball at its center.
10. Fry in medium heat for about 30 seconds. Then turn ball to the other side and spread it to has size as CD. Fry in this position about 1 minute.
11. Again turn over pancake and fry for about 1 minute.
12. Again turn over a pancake and fry, but now at a very low heat. You can cover the pan lid
13. After about a minute hoddeok will be ready.
14. Serve hot!